If you see something suspicious, it’s probably just the cops!

If you see something suspicious, it’s probably just the cops!

Uploaded by elyssadurant on Feb 20, 2012

Most have no tags or temporary tags… But the latest weapon of mass deception are vehicles that have TWO tags from different states!

Specifically Tennessee and Kentucky.

Black Army? Heroes? Hell NO!

Only cowards have to hide behind bullet proof glass and opaque black tinted windows.

Go USA! God bless America!

This is some of the creepiest shit I have ever seen but was unable to upload live footage since my internet suddenly got disconnected.

Garbage Trucks with liquid tanks using hoses and flashlights in back alleys; hiding behind dumpsters; turning off headlights to avoid detection?

THAT’S FUCKING SUSPICIOUS!


School buses and taxis parked for hours with strobe lights using GPS 4D technology for surveillance — that is fed to four separate locations and stored on USB!

All utility companies now have sub-contractors rewiring shit without any ID, temporary tags and plates from multiple states… No way to verify identity caught on film jumping out of running vehicles and cutting wires at utility poles?

THAT’S FUCKING SUSPICIOUS!

Category:

News & Politics

Tags:

Military USA TN Black

VIPR

TSA

You’re all fucking suspicious! Especially the Cops! 😉

If you see something suspicious, it’s probably just the cops!

If you see something suspicious, it’s probably just the cops!

Uploaded by elyssadurant on Feb 20, 2012

Most have no tags or temporary tags… But the latest weapon of mass deception are vehicles that have TWO tags from different states!

Specifically Tennessee and Kentucky.

Black Army? Heroes? Hell NO!

Only cowards have to hide behind bullet proof glass and opaque black tinted windows.

Go USA! God bless America!

This is some of the creepiest shit I have ever seen but was unable to upload live footage since my internet suddenly got disconnected.

Garbage Trucks with liquid tanks using hoses and flashlights in back alleys; hiding behind dumpsters; turning off headlights to avoid detection?

THAT’S FUCKING SUSPICIOUS!


School buses and taxis parked for hours with strobe lights using GPS 4D technology for surveillance — that is fed to four separate locations and stored on USB!

All utility companies now have sub-contractors rewiring shit without any ID, temporary tags and plates from multiple states… No way to verify identity caught on film jumping out of running vehicles and cutting wires at utility poles?

THAT’S FUCKING SUSPICIOUS!

Category:

News & Politics

Tags:

Military USA TN Black

VIPR

TSA

You’re all fucking suspicious! Especially the Cops! 😉

Important Message about Nashville Community Organizers, TNDP and OFA

May 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM

What an it interesting twist of fate.

So the Queen steps without naming an heir, and takes they whole
“community” with her.

What an brilliant demonstration of leadership gone bad. So that’s two.

It was my understanding that the core concept of #OFA was that
community organizers rely on grass roots and heart of the community.

The turf wars at TNDP and NCO served only one purpose, the political
agenda was more like a pulpit for shameless self-promotion. As a
result Tennessee has continues to move further way from the core
principles of progressive voters across the state.

Personal agendas took priority over policy initiatives and we are
certainly no closer to being anywhere near the place we need to be.
I no longer affiliate with the TN Democratic party despite my long
standing record of being an active member of many local, national and
International organizations promoting human rights and justice for
all.

As a result I no longer volunteer or align myself with any “political” party.

I watched from afar as the TNDP and NCO claimed OWNERSHIP of other
community agencies. Including Nashville for All of Us.

To alienate so many so quickly, it tells me that my instincts were
right on target.

I received multiple emails and action alerts all claiming to Speak for of OFA.

Upon further inspection, it became clear that this was one individual
was pushing a personal agenda. To be an effective community organizer
on must keep the emphasis on “community” rather than “leadership”

I think is certainly a step in the right direction. Maybe there still
is a Nashville for All of Us.

Truly disgraceful demonstration of poor leadership, dedication and character.

Elyssa Durant
Nashville, TN
http://bit.ly/blbFec

———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Meetup
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 07:11:28 -0400
Subject: Important Message about Nashville Community Organizers
To: ed70@columbia.edu

Members of Nashville Community Organizers,

Your Organizer, Kathy, just stepped down without nominating a replacement.

Without an Organizer, Nashville Community Organizers will shut down on
May 27, 2010.

Step up to become this Meetup Group’s Organizer and you can guide its
future direction, schedule Meetups, change its site’s colors —
you can make it whatever you and your members want!

Other members can help you. Ask them for ideas or even nominate a few
to help as Assistant Organizers.

Want to learn more about what Organizing a Meetup Group is like? Check
out Meetup’s Organizer Center: http://orc.meetup.com/

KEEP YOUR GROUP GOING:
http://www.meetup.com/Nashville-Community-Organizers-formerly-NLBO/handover/?…

got questions? we’re here to help! Call us at 1-877-633-8870
#supporthours() or send us an email at support@meetup.com

Viva la community!
The Team at Meetup HQ

 

An Open Letter to the TNDP

 

June 24, 2009

Dear Mr Forrester:

I have a HUGE problem with the “Chip in for Chip Campaign” I feel this is a grievous misrepresentation of the TNDP and the incestuous affiliation it appears to have with the NCO.

What an awful way to start you tenure and try to gain support from local, vocal advocates and activists like myself. http://www.actblue.com/page/chipin

Unfortunately, duty calls, and I don’t have the time to fully express just how disturbed I was by how betrayed I feel by the TNDP that caused me to question the ethics of my own party. a breach of ethics within the Democratic party.

But rest assured I will return to this topic with further details, and a copy of a letter I received from one of of your staff members the day after we discussed the possibility of summoning volunteers from the health care lobby to get your new office up and running.

Although you did invite me both verbally and through e-mail, I was told by one of your staffers that I was not welcome since I “Chip doesn’t even know you, AND because I did not even volunteer at the Obama Headquarters.”

Sorry– I was hitting the streets with Health Care for America Now [HCAN] and manning the phones for Cover the Uninsured.

This campaign was misrepresented to me as a non-profit supporting the community through and by local activists and advocates right here in Nashville.

The website revisions validate that transformation from as the NCO slowly morphed into the TNDP.

This kind of and followed up with one of the most disgusting displays of all the things ugly we hate about politics.

NCO is NOT act blue. As a former lobbyist, I am deeply offended by the ethics and misrepresentation of the TNDP. Especially after being told I am not a welcome volunteer at YOUR office.

Bad business, Chip.

It is unfortunate that you have surrounded yourself with people who are working against you to further their own political agenda hoping they may someday replace you.

It was interesting to watch how quickly the dispersed when the “Chips were down.”

As a life-long democrat who missed only one election since I turned 18, I truly hope your staff (especially the “NCO” can recognize how seriously they are jeopardizing and alienating members of the Democratic party.

Unfortunately, I can’t donate money, but I would have more than happy to volunteer time. Therefore, I am formally requesting a refund of the $5.44 I donated online.

I shared the letter with a friend in the Republican Party because it was so offensive and shocking. I think you deserve a copy as well. I will try to get that o you in the near future.

Please note, it is not personal against you, but In the meantime, I would like to formally request a refund of $5.44. You can make it payable to charity of MY choice, however since I am unemployed and on disability, I wouldn’t object if you made the check out to “cash.”

Sincerely yours,

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

Because THIS is how the Tennessee Democratic Party treats volunteers in “The Volunteer State”

So, no. Don’t ask me to “chip in for Chip Forrester” or donate money to any of the people associated with this organization.

To quote Kathy, “it’s just not happening.” ELyssa Durant, Ed.M.
TN05, House 52
אל

> > ——Original Message——
> From: kathy@communityorganizers.net
> To: Ed70@columbia.edu
> Subject: TNDP
> Sent: Feb 8, 2009 7:27 AM
> > Hey Elyssa,
> > Just wanted to let you know that the TNDP Transition Team already has formed, met, and is working. I know you’re interested in being on it, but it’s just not happening this time. You’re not on it. Chip doesn’t know you, hasn’t worked with you, and hasn’t even met you, Elyssa. You’ve got a good heart with great intentions, but you’re just being too aggressive right now and it’s having an opposite effect than what you want. No one knows you here -you weren’t on the Obama staff or volunteer staff here, or even a volunteer at HQ, and haven’t done anything with NCO. Give it time.
> > I know you’ll appreciate the direct approach. No worries!
> > Kathy
> > >

Important Message about Nashville Community Organizers, TNDP and OFA

May 12, 2010 at 10:09 AM

What an it interesting twist of fate.

So the Queen steps without naming an heir, and takes they whole
“community” with her.

What an brilliant demonstration of leadership gone bad. So that’s two.

It was my understanding that the core concept of #OFA was that
community organizers rely on grass roots and heart of the community.

The turf wars at TNDP and NCO served only one purpose, the political
agenda was more like a pulpit for shameless self-promotion. As a
result Tennessee has continues to move further way from the core
principles of progressive voters across the state.

Personal agendas took priority over policy initiatives and we are
certainly no closer to being anywhere near the place we need to be.
I no longer affiliate with the TN Democratic party despite my long
standing record of being an active member of many local, national and
International organizations promoting human rights and justice for
all.

As a result I no longer volunteer or align myself with any “political” party.

I watched from afar as the TNDP and NCO claimed OWNERSHIP of other
community agencies. Including Nashville for All of Us.

To alienate so many so quickly, it tells me that my instincts were
right on target.

I received multiple emails and action alerts all claiming to Speak for of OFA.

Upon further inspection, it became clear that this was one individual
was pushing a personal agenda. To be an effective community organizer
on must keep the emphasis on “community” rather than “leadership”

I think is certainly a step in the right direction. Maybe there still
is a Nashville for All of Us.

Truly disgraceful demonstration of poor leadership, dedication and character.

Elyssa Durant
Nashville, TN
http://bit.ly/blbFec

———- Forwarded message ———-
From: Meetup
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 07:11:28 -0400
Subject: Important Message about Nashville Community Organizers
To: ed70@columbia.edu

Members of Nashville Community Organizers,

Your Organizer, Kathy, just stepped down without nominating a replacement.

Without an Organizer, Nashville Community Organizers will shut down on
May 27, 2010.

Step up to become this Meetup Group’s Organizer and you can guide its
future direction, schedule Meetups, change its site’s colors —
you can make it whatever you and your members want!

Other members can help you. Ask them for ideas or even nominate a few
to help as Assistant Organizers.

Want to learn more about what Organizing a Meetup Group is like? Check
out Meetup’s Organizer Center: http://orc.meetup.com/

KEEP YOUR GROUP GOING:
http://www.meetup.com/Nashville-Community-Organizers-formerly-NLBO/handover/?…

got questions? we’re here to help! Call us at 1-877-633-8870
#supporthours() or send us an email at support@meetup.com

Viva la community!
The Team at Meetup HQ

 

An Open Letter to the TNDP

 

June 24, 2009

Dear Mr Forrester:

I have a HUGE problem with the “Chip in for Chip Campaign” I feel this is a grievous misrepresentation of the TNDP and the incestuous affiliation it appears to have with the NCO.

What an awful way to start you tenure and try to gain support from local, vocal advocates and activists like myself. http://www.actblue.com/page/chipin

Unfortunately, duty calls, and I don’t have the time to fully express just how disturbed I was by how betrayed I feel by the TNDP that caused me to question the ethics of my own party. a breach of ethics within the Democratic party.

But rest assured I will return to this topic with further details, and a copy of a letter I received from one of of your staff members the day after we discussed the possibility of summoning volunteers from the health care lobby to get your new office up and running.

Although you did invite me both verbally and through e-mail, I was told by one of your staffers that I was not welcome since I “Chip doesn’t even know you, AND because I did not even volunteer at the Obama Headquarters.”

Sorry– I was hitting the streets with Health Care for America Now [HCAN] and manning the phones for Cover the Uninsured.

This campaign was misrepresented to me as a non-profit supporting the community through and by local activists and advocates right here in Nashville.

The website revisions validate that transformation from as the NCO slowly morphed into the TNDP.

This kind of and followed up with one of the most disgusting displays of all the things ugly we hate about politics.

NCO is NOT act blue. As a former lobbyist, I am deeply offended by the ethics and misrepresentation of the TNDP. Especially after being told I am not a welcome volunteer at YOUR office.

Bad business, Chip.

It is unfortunate that you have surrounded yourself with people who are working against you to further their own political agenda hoping they may someday replace you.

It was interesting to watch how quickly the dispersed when the “Chips were down.”

As a life-long democrat who missed only one election since I turned 18, I truly hope your staff (especially the “NCO” can recognize how seriously they are jeopardizing and alienating members of the Democratic party.

Unfortunately, I can’t donate money, but I would have more than happy to volunteer time. Therefore, I am formally requesting a refund of the $5.44 I donated online.

I shared the letter with a friend in the Republican Party because it was so offensive and shocking. I think you deserve a copy as well. I will try to get that o you in the near future.

Please note, it is not personal against you, but In the meantime, I would like to formally request a refund of $5.44. You can make it payable to charity of MY choice, however since I am unemployed and on disability, I wouldn’t object if you made the check out to “cash.”

Sincerely yours,

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

Because THIS is how the Tennessee Democratic Party treats volunteers in “The Volunteer State”

So, no. Don’t ask me to “chip in for Chip Forrester” or donate money to any of the people associated with this organization.

To quote Kathy, “it’s just not happening.” ELyssa Durant, Ed.M.
TN05, House 52
אל

> > ——Original Message——
> From: kathy@communityorganizers.net
> To: Ed70@columbia.edu
> Subject: TNDP
> Sent: Feb 8, 2009 7:27 AM
> > Hey Elyssa,
> > Just wanted to let you know that the TNDP Transition Team already has formed, met, and is working. I know you’re interested in being on it, but it’s just not happening this time. You’re not on it. Chip doesn’t know you, hasn’t worked with you, and hasn’t even met you, Elyssa. You’ve got a good heart with great intentions, but you’re just being too aggressive right now and it’s having an opposite effect than what you want. No one knows you here -you weren’t on the Obama staff or volunteer staff here, or even a volunteer at HQ, and haven’t done anything with NCO. Give it time.
> > I know you’ll appreciate the direct approach. No worries!
> > Kathy
> > >

Barbara Ehrenreich Forum: The Worst Day Ever: FURB! (Elyssa Durant)

MODIFIED FROM THE ORIGINAL POST… IT WAS IN FACT “THE WORST DAY EVER”

We live in a society where one accepts responsibility for their mistakes, no one is held accountable for their actions, ao one EVER says they are sorry.

Let me you a small glimpse inside the day in the of the und/underemployed:

I spend day after day after may doing the same thing without any result: I can only offer you a glimpse into day in the life because there io room left to sit in my car, and I believe my apartment may actually be a fire hazard… This was my daily update posted at 7:30am:

 

I have done everything humanly possible to clean up the slack, however, I feel I have no other choice than to file a formal complaint so that my entire case is reviewed. The number of mistakes are so overwhelming that I simply don’t have enough time to documents each and every one with the respective agency.

I will try to be more specific later without going into too much detail, but unfortunately, that level of detail is required to file the necessary appeals. Ironic huh? This apartment is like my own little cage, and I am just pathetic enough to run around in circles, hoping to find the much like a hamster wheel, rodent chasing in circles hoping to found my way out my way out before I run out air. If only I had finished my damn PhD, I would do my own case study or reality show on how far we’ll go to have nothing at all…

I have taken care of the subrogation claim, however, that does bot minimize my level of frustration because I am DROWNING in paperwork. I have contacted several agencies to assistance such as the Disability Law and Advocacy Center, however, I do not have the resources necessary to provide them with timely response. There is a very limited time allowed to Request Reconsideration, or file an appeal.

I also want to be clear that every time I have to call Social Security or DHS, it only compounds my cost of living expenses (40 cents per minute on the telephone — a bill which is not even considered to be a justifiable expense) Most agencies do not include self-addressed stamped envelopes, and I can not afford the postage required to mail out all of the requested documentation (e.g., utility bills, medical bills, pay stubs, etc.)

Fortunately, a number of agencies will take online complaints. Unfortunately, my internet was interrupted for non-payment for several weeks and their is no funding resource or community agency that provides subsidized Internet access or free printer ink.

Transportation costs are ridiculous so going to the library is not an option. Neither is returning to work right now, since it would cost too much to get to the interview or provide official (expensive) copies of my graduate school transcirpts that were oh, such a good investment!

Set aside, I am not the most user friendly person right about now, so I have found it difficult to put on a happy face so I can work at McDonald’s which pays more than Metro anyway.

The subrogation claim has been resolved but I just learned that my breast biopsy was not pre-authorized and I was told by my INSURANCE CSR (the person who answers the phone!!!) that I should not have the surgery that has already been scheduled at the Women’s Hospital for 8/21/2008. AmeriChoice (United HealthCare) did they did not authorize the biopsy last month, and have not, as of yet, received a request prior authorization for the surgery next week…

This was a lovely 54 minute conversation because he would not mail me copies of my EOBs or confirm that what, if any, requests have been submitted for payment since my last inquiry and change of address. He finally told me to call the state (Tennessee) which I have already done several times, and they told me to call Social Security but it was already past business hours and I am not authorized to make changes to my file anyway.

I’ll be in touch when I can. Unfortunately each agency has different deadlines, and it takes a lot of energy and time to scan in, copy, or respond to each inquiry in writing, so I find myself running out of time since I can’t seem to get anything done unless I just do nothing at all.

And even though my life is a living hell, I have almost learned how to enjoy the sheer irony of it all… for someone with OCD and post-traumatic stress, this is truly a ridiculous little experiment.

I am becoming increasingly inspired to just burn every last document I own, throw away my keys and my cell phone and take Spotty some place where we can live off the land and ignore the fact that society has me chained to a computer screen that screen that does provide the basic necessities I need to live in this .

I have come this far, and I am becoming rather skilled and at expressing myself without needing an audience or the obsessive need to check every fact, throw, and typo for capitalization and perfection.

So for now… I write.

Maybe later, I’ll read, but if there is any justice left in this world, someday, I’ll actually live.

Good-bye for now. I need a break.

With love,Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee
Cell: (615) 424-8810
E-mail: elyssa.durant@columbia.edu

“The paradox of education is precisely this– that as one begins to
become educated, one begins to examine the society in which he [or
she] is being educated.” – Baldwin

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (cookie)
Posted: 11:34:17 pm on 9/3/2008 Modified: Never
 
Elyssa

I feel for you but am finding it hard to understand your situation where you can’t afford money to print necessary forms or afford bus fair to a public library. Please understand that I am not doubting what you say, but rather that what you describe is a pretty desperate circumstance.

Have you tried asking for lawyer assistance pro bono? I checked for you. The Nashville bar offers a Pro Bono program for certain circumstances, and it would seem that you meet the criteria. Check out

http://www.nashbar.org/forpublic.htm

They prefer an email but if that’s too uncertain for you you could try them via phone or physical address:

315 Union Street, Suite 800 Nashville, TN 37201

Phone:
615-242-9272

Things may seem grim but don’t drown yourself in a negative spiral. Keep your mind pinned on the positive.

Best of luck to you.

Cookie

 

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (FedUp)
Posted: 7:19:19 pm on 9/10/2008 Modified: Never
 

No offense, but that was my first thought: you can’t afford bus fare, phone minutes or paper/ink, yet you still have internet access?

Are you still in your apartment?

 

 

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (Elyssa Durant)
Posted: 7:14:03 pm on 9/11/2008 Modified: Never
 
My first thought: You’re kidding, right?

My second thought:
Poor thing just deosn’t get it…
Take a look at “Good Fences” available online
http://www.nycvoices.org/article_1132.php
Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee
Cell: (615) 424-8810
E-mail: elyssa.durant@columbia.edu

“The paradox of education is precisely this– that as one begins to
become educated, one begins to examine the society in which he [or
she] is being educated.” – Baldwin

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (MLCC)
Posted: 3:21:44 pm on 9/12/2008 Modified: Never
 
It’s the government. Gather your paperwork, make an appointment, haul it down there for them to make a copy of whatever they need. Might be nice if you typed up an itemized summary of whatever they are most interested in gleaning from said paperwork so they might not copy the whole darn pile so trees and taxpayer monies can be saved.

While in need you trade time for assistance (money, food, healthcare) because you have 40-60 hours that most working adults do not have. Spend that 40-60 hours helping others to help you. I hardly think that is asking too much. No free lunches without something in trade.

What really boggles my mind is that there are people out there who cannot afford these simple things that refuse to get out there and take a couple of jobs, any job, doing anything just to get money in their pocket. The illegals manage despite lack of English competency, what is the matter with these people?

Just an ant that can’t comprehend grasshopper attitudes.

exclamation Making Ends Meet When You Can’t the Paper? (Elyssa Durant)
Posted: 10:50:56 pm on 2/3/2009 Modified: Never
 
Nashville Bar Association and / or Legal Aid have both reviewed my case, and though I meet the eligibility criteria to obtain services, I found them to be very diasorganized in the application process. And simply could not do anything I hadn’t already tried…

Limits federal limits for financial and certainly qualify for servies under various ADA protected categories, but what people don’t realize is this… All I need is a actual, LIVING-WAGE job.

Trust me, they are harder to find than you might think.

I am certainly far below the income threshold and meet all eligibility requirements for various programs, but all I really want is the opportunity to be judged on my merits– not be forced to identify myself as a recipient of federal funds so that corporation can CLAIM the welfare to work reduction.

Thanks, but no. I do qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation but the state messed up records so badly that I have absoultely no idea what the status of my PASS application is.

Pro-bono and nonprofits community agencies simply are not set up to deal with such complicated inter-related and complex issues. Legal Aid and TPA have both reviwed and evaluated the status of my case.

Neither handle bankruptcy, student loan disputes, or ERISA disputes. The Disability Law and Advocacy Center did not show up to a scheduled negotiation. My designated representative succeeeded at doing one thing: consitently missing every single possible filing deadline regardless of the how many times I called, wrote, or complained for over three years.

That is negligence in my book.

Forgive me for saying so, but those are “advocates” I could do without. It would be nice if I could find someone who is professional enough to at least show up when THEY are being paid.

It would be so much easier if I could, in fact, find a real paying job, however despite my best efforts, I have found very few people who can be sensitive to my situation and allow reasonable accomodations that are my no means too, too disruptive or annoying.

Unfortuantely I will never meet the criteria of a rank and file employee, however I’m starting to think that maybe employers are not making the best of decisions when I look at how many of them are closing up shop. I need a job that pays, in full, on time, and does not mind my attentiomn (or obsession) to detail.

I even once got fired from Red Lobster the management felt I was “not Red Lobster Material.” All in all, I guess that is not such a bad thing, because when I planned goals for myself, I cannot honestly say that being “Red Lobster Material” was not anywhere near the top of my list!

Unforutnately, good intent does not translate into the ability to pay salaries or related expenses such as INTERNET, telephone access or even basic transportation and realted expenses.

I am finding out that there are so many more people out there like myself who are “out-the-door ready and willing to go to work” were it not for the sinking economy and underwhelming job forecasts from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I have tried looking at this from every angle, but the bottom line is this: I NEED A JOB!

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will no doubt be revisit your rsuggestions when I attempt to file my taxes again through the VITA program.

Sincerely yours,

Elyssa Durant
Nashville, Tennessee
E-mail: ed70@columbia.edu

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

exclamation Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (Elyssa Durant)
Posted: 10:58:37 pm on 2/3/2009 Modified: 11:06:45 pm on 2/3/2009
 
How did I miss this refreshing post?

Thank you so much for not doubting my efforts and sincerity when I tell you I’ve tried.

I know exactly how much money I am costing society, but what I have not done is abuse the system any more than it has abused me.

Surely, we all know that it is easy to skate by in American on less than $600 a month. And trust me if you have ANY illness when you go into the system, you will be so far beyond normal by the time you are through. assuming that is, that you are one the privileged elite who can meet their criteria and be poor like me!

I must be pretty freakin dumb if I thought I could try.

Thank you.

Elyssa

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (Elyssa Durant)
Posted: 11:06:03 pm on 2/3/2009 Modified: Never
 
Do you still feel I am abusing the welfare system by paying for internet access? Because I would so love it you could donate some wifi access to anyoneother than myself so others can ennjoy that elusive privilege of speaking loud. Surely someone can donate wifi to all us who should go without voice or recognition for using our words on the government’s dime. Yeah, I guess you are right, I don’t deserve internet access. It makes me angry to see comments like yours that insult my intelligeence and my sense of humor.

Whatever. If it makes you feel any better, I hope you feel just fine.

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (new_wave_princes)
Posted: 12:18:21 am on 4/14/2009 Modified: Never
 
So you are on welfare, can’t afford paper, but can afford computer? No, I don’t feel sorry for you. You probably just don’t want to work.
  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (hagofall)
Posted: 6:33:44 pm on 4/16/2009 Modified: Never
 
I wonder if “new wave…” checks up on whether he’s been read? (I know I do.) I think your (nwp) response in “this” category is kind of reprehensible but in “others” you appear more reasonable–still very angry. So, you are the more newly kicked around and definitely feeling sorry for only your own ilk? Not to mention, we, none of us, want to look pathetic, pride is there and it, somtimes, makes it all the more complex, yes? no?….
  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (new_wave_princes)
Posted: 9:58:29 pm on 4/16/2009 Modified: 9:59:37 pm on 4/16/2009
 
Hagofall, I have no idea what you are asking. I just think it’s wrong that she manages to have internet on welfare but not paper. Her priorities are out of whack. Not one thing I’ve read about her mentions actually looking for any kind of job. I too have a MA, but I’ll take what I can get, and not take welfare.
  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (hagofall)
Posted: 8:56:33 am on 4/17/2009 Modified: Never
 
There are a lot of things going on here, for one, Bait and Switch might be a more appropriate forum for Elyssa. Not that it matters that much. People are just getting it off their chests. But the people Barbara Ehrenreich writes about in Nickeled and Dimed have always been poor and working. What I love greatly about BE’s books is the writing and I am laughing through out. Irony keeps me going. But some people aren’t like me in this and aren’t we all so vastly different when you look at the details? When it comes to what we write via the internet, that is where we seem more alike–in our ideas. Ideas vs. realities.
Anyway, nobody is going to argue with the numbers. I’ll venture to say that there have never been enough jobs for all the people who need them. And now? My local internet “help wanted” site showed 250 jobs with 18,000 job seekers. And this was before all hell broke loose. And don’t forget there is competition for low wage jobs too.
I am fascinated with how people survive. As far as I am concerned nothing is a piece of cake when you’re one us, us being the majority of human beings.
And New Wave Prince, I’ll apologize , because I thought you were being mean but instead we just have different ideas.
 

Barbara Ehrenreich Forum: The Worst Day Ever: FURB! (Elyssa Durant)

MODIFIED FROM THE ORIGINAL POST… IT WAS IN FACT “THE WORST DAY EVER”

We live in a society where one accepts responsibility for their mistakes, no one is held accountable for their actions, ao one EVER says they are sorry.

Let me you a small glimpse inside the day in the of the und/underemployed:

I spend day after day after may doing the same thing without any result: I can only offer you a glimpse into day in the life because there io room left to sit in my car, and I believe my apartment may actually be a fire hazard… This was my daily update posted at 7:30am:

 

I have done everything humanly possible to clean up the slack, however, I feel I have no other choice than to file a formal complaint so that my entire case is reviewed. The number of mistakes are so overwhelming that I simply don’t have enough time to documents each and every one with the respective agency.

I will try to be more specific later without going into too much detail, but unfortunately, that level of detail is required to file the necessary appeals. Ironic huh? This apartment is like my own little cage, and I am just pathetic enough to run around in circles, hoping to find the much like a hamster wheel, rodent chasing in circles hoping to found my way out my way out before I run out air. If only I had finished my damn PhD, I would do my own case study or reality show on how far we’ll go to have nothing at all…

I have taken care of the subrogation claim, however, that does bot minimize my level of frustration because I am DROWNING in paperwork. I have contacted several agencies to assistance such as the Disability Law and Advocacy Center, however, I do not have the resources necessary to provide them with timely response. There is a very limited time allowed to Request Reconsideration, or file an appeal.

I also want to be clear that every time I have to call Social Security or DHS, it only compounds my cost of living expenses (40 cents per minute on the telephone — a bill which is not even considered to be a justifiable expense) Most agencies do not include self-addressed stamped envelopes, and I can not afford the postage required to mail out all of the requested documentation (e.g., utility bills, medical bills, pay stubs, etc.)

Fortunately, a number of agencies will take online complaints. Unfortunately, my internet was interrupted for non-payment for several weeks and their is no funding resource or community agency that provides subsidized Internet access or free printer ink.

Transportation costs are ridiculous so going to the library is not an option. Neither is returning to work right now, since it would cost too much to get to the interview or provide official (expensive) copies of my graduate school transcirpts that were oh, such a good investment!

Set aside, I am not the most user friendly person right about now, so I have found it difficult to put on a happy face so I can work at McDonald’s which pays more than Metro anyway.

The subrogation claim has been resolved but I just learned that my breast biopsy was not pre-authorized and I was told by my INSURANCE CSR (the person who answers the phone!!!) that I should not have the surgery that has already been scheduled at the Women’s Hospital for 8/21/2008. AmeriChoice (United HealthCare) did they did not authorize the biopsy last month, and have not, as of yet, received a request prior authorization for the surgery next week…

This was a lovely 54 minute conversation because he would not mail me copies of my EOBs or confirm that what, if any, requests have been submitted for payment since my last inquiry and change of address. He finally told me to call the state (Tennessee) which I have already done several times, and they told me to call Social Security but it was already past business hours and I am not authorized to make changes to my file anyway.

I’ll be in touch when I can. Unfortunately each agency has different deadlines, and it takes a lot of energy and time to scan in, copy, or respond to each inquiry in writing, so I find myself running out of time since I can’t seem to get anything done unless I just do nothing at all.

And even though my life is a living hell, I have almost learned how to enjoy the sheer irony of it all… for someone with OCD and post-traumatic stress, this is truly a ridiculous little experiment.

I am becoming increasingly inspired to just burn every last document I own, throw away my keys and my cell phone and take Spotty some place where we can live off the land and ignore the fact that society has me chained to a computer screen that screen that does provide the basic necessities I need to live in this .

I have come this far, and I am becoming rather skilled and at expressing myself without needing an audience or the obsessive need to check every fact, throw, and typo for capitalization and perfection.

So for now… I write.

Maybe later, I’ll read, but if there is any justice left in this world, someday, I’ll actually live.

Good-bye for now. I need a break.

With love,Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee
Cell: (615) 424-8810
E-mail: elyssa.durant@columbia.edu

“The paradox of education is precisely this– that as one begins to
become educated, one begins to examine the society in which he [or
she] is being educated.” – Baldwin

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (cookie)
Posted: 11:34:17 pm on 9/3/2008 Modified: Never
 
Elyssa

I feel for you but am finding it hard to understand your situation where you can’t afford money to print necessary forms or afford bus fair to a public library. Please understand that I am not doubting what you say, but rather that what you describe is a pretty desperate circumstance.

Have you tried asking for lawyer assistance pro bono? I checked for you. The Nashville bar offers a Pro Bono program for certain circumstances, and it would seem that you meet the criteria. Check out

http://www.nashbar.org/forpublic.htm

They prefer an email but if that’s too uncertain for you you could try them via phone or physical address:

315 Union Street, Suite 800 Nashville, TN 37201

Phone:
615-242-9272

Things may seem grim but don’t drown yourself in a negative spiral. Keep your mind pinned on the positive.

Best of luck to you.

Cookie

 

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (FedUp)
Posted: 7:19:19 pm on 9/10/2008 Modified: Never
 

No offense, but that was my first thought: you can’t afford bus fare, phone minutes or paper/ink, yet you still have internet access?

Are you still in your apartment?

 

 

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (Elyssa Durant)
Posted: 7:14:03 pm on 9/11/2008 Modified: Never
 
My first thought: You’re kidding, right?

My second thought:
Poor thing just deosn’t get it…
Take a look at “Good Fences” available online
http://www.nycvoices.org/article_1132.php
Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee
Cell: (615) 424-8810
E-mail: elyssa.durant@columbia.edu

“The paradox of education is precisely this– that as one begins to
become educated, one begins to examine the society in which he [or
she] is being educated.” – Baldwin

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (MLCC)
Posted: 3:21:44 pm on 9/12/2008 Modified: Never
 
It’s the government. Gather your paperwork, make an appointment, haul it down there for them to make a copy of whatever they need. Might be nice if you typed up an itemized summary of whatever they are most interested in gleaning from said paperwork so they might not copy the whole darn pile so trees and taxpayer monies can be saved.

While in need you trade time for assistance (money, food, healthcare) because you have 40-60 hours that most working adults do not have. Spend that 40-60 hours helping others to help you. I hardly think that is asking too much. No free lunches without something in trade.

What really boggles my mind is that there are people out there who cannot afford these simple things that refuse to get out there and take a couple of jobs, any job, doing anything just to get money in their pocket. The illegals manage despite lack of English competency, what is the matter with these people?

Just an ant that can’t comprehend grasshopper attitudes.

exclamation Making Ends Meet When You Can’t the Paper? (Elyssa Durant)
Posted: 10:50:56 pm on 2/3/2009 Modified: Never
 
Nashville Bar Association and / or Legal Aid have both reviewed my case, and though I meet the eligibility criteria to obtain services, I found them to be very diasorganized in the application process. And simply could not do anything I hadn’t already tried…

Limits federal limits for financial and certainly qualify for servies under various ADA protected categories, but what people don’t realize is this… All I need is a actual, LIVING-WAGE job.

Trust me, they are harder to find than you might think.

I am certainly far below the income threshold and meet all eligibility requirements for various programs, but all I really want is the opportunity to be judged on my merits– not be forced to identify myself as a recipient of federal funds so that corporation can CLAIM the welfare to work reduction.

Thanks, but no. I do qualify for Vocational Rehabilitation but the state messed up records so badly that I have absoultely no idea what the status of my PASS application is.

Pro-bono and nonprofits community agencies simply are not set up to deal with such complicated inter-related and complex issues. Legal Aid and TPA have both reviwed and evaluated the status of my case.

Neither handle bankruptcy, student loan disputes, or ERISA disputes. The Disability Law and Advocacy Center did not show up to a scheduled negotiation. My designated representative succeeeded at doing one thing: consitently missing every single possible filing deadline regardless of the how many times I called, wrote, or complained for over three years.

That is negligence in my book.

Forgive me for saying so, but those are “advocates” I could do without. It would be nice if I could find someone who is professional enough to at least show up when THEY are being paid.

It would be so much easier if I could, in fact, find a real paying job, however despite my best efforts, I have found very few people who can be sensitive to my situation and allow reasonable accomodations that are my no means too, too disruptive or annoying.

Unfortuantely I will never meet the criteria of a rank and file employee, however I’m starting to think that maybe employers are not making the best of decisions when I look at how many of them are closing up shop. I need a job that pays, in full, on time, and does not mind my attentiomn (or obsession) to detail.

I even once got fired from Red Lobster the management felt I was “not Red Lobster Material.” All in all, I guess that is not such a bad thing, because when I planned goals for myself, I cannot honestly say that being “Red Lobster Material” was not anywhere near the top of my list!

Unforutnately, good intent does not translate into the ability to pay salaries or related expenses such as INTERNET, telephone access or even basic transportation and realted expenses.

I am finding out that there are so many more people out there like myself who are “out-the-door ready and willing to go to work” were it not for the sinking economy and underwhelming job forecasts from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

I have tried looking at this from every angle, but the bottom line is this: I NEED A JOB!

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will no doubt be revisit your rsuggestions when I attempt to file my taxes again through the VITA program.

Sincerely yours,

Elyssa Durant
Nashville, Tennessee
E-mail: ed70@columbia.edu

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

exclamation Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (Elyssa Durant)
Posted: 10:58:37 pm on 2/3/2009 Modified: 11:06:45 pm on 2/3/2009
 
How did I miss this refreshing post?

Thank you so much for not doubting my efforts and sincerity when I tell you I’ve tried.

I know exactly how much money I am costing society, but what I have not done is abuse the system any more than it has abused me.

Surely, we all know that it is easy to skate by in American on less than $600 a month. And trust me if you have ANY illness when you go into the system, you will be so far beyond normal by the time you are through. assuming that is, that you are one the privileged elite who can meet their criteria and be poor like me!

I must be pretty freakin dumb if I thought I could try.

Thank you.

Elyssa

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (Elyssa Durant)
Posted: 11:06:03 pm on 2/3/2009 Modified: Never
 
Do you still feel I am abusing the welfare system by paying for internet access? Because I would so love it you could donate some wifi access to anyoneother than myself so others can ennjoy that elusive privilege of speaking loud. Surely someone can donate wifi to all us who should go without voice or recognition for using our words on the government’s dime. Yeah, I guess you are right, I don’t deserve internet access. It makes me angry to see comments like yours that insult my intelligeence and my sense of humor.

Whatever. If it makes you feel any better, I hope you feel just fine.

Elyssa Durant, Ed.M.
Nashville, Tennessee

  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (new_wave_princes)
Posted: 12:18:21 am on 4/14/2009 Modified: Never
 
So you are on welfare, can’t afford paper, but can afford computer? No, I don’t feel sorry for you. You probably just don’t want to work.
  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (hagofall)
Posted: 6:33:44 pm on 4/16/2009 Modified: Never
 
I wonder if “new wave…” checks up on whether he’s been read? (I know I do.) I think your (nwp) response in “this” category is kind of reprehensible but in “others” you appear more reasonable–still very angry. So, you are the more newly kicked around and definitely feeling sorry for only your own ilk? Not to mention, we, none of us, want to look pathetic, pride is there and it, somtimes, makes it all the more complex, yes? no?….
  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (new_wave_princes)
Posted: 9:58:29 pm on 4/16/2009 Modified: 9:59:37 pm on 4/16/2009
 
Hagofall, I have no idea what you are asking. I just think it’s wrong that she manages to have internet on welfare but not paper. Her priorities are out of whack. Not one thing I’ve read about her mentions actually looking for any kind of job. I too have a MA, but I’ll take what I can get, and not take welfare.
  Re: Making Ends Meet When You Can’t Afford the Paper (hagofall)
Posted: 8:56:33 am on 4/17/2009 Modified: Never
 
There are a lot of things going on here, for one, Bait and Switch might be a more appropriate forum for Elyssa. Not that it matters that much. People are just getting it off their chests. But the people Barbara Ehrenreich writes about in Nickeled and Dimed have always been poor and working. What I love greatly about BE’s books is the writing and I am laughing through out. Irony keeps me going. But some people aren’t like me in this and aren’t we all so vastly different when you look at the details? When it comes to what we write via the internet, that is where we seem more alike–in our ideas. Ideas vs. realities.
Anyway, nobody is going to argue with the numbers. I’ll venture to say that there have never been enough jobs for all the people who need them. And now? My local internet “help wanted” site showed 250 jobs with 18,000 job seekers. And this was before all hell broke loose. And don’t forget there is competition for low wage jobs too.
I am fascinated with how people survive. As far as I am concerned nothing is a piece of cake when you’re one us, us being the majority of human beings.
And New Wave Prince, I’ll apologize , because I thought you were being mean but instead we just have different ideas.
 

Are You F*%$ing Kidding Me?

Are You F*%$ing Kidding Me?

Elyssa,

I am sorry if you feel that paying $7.50 for an article is too much. The reason as to why we charge for an article is because we offer breaking news before any other publication in Nashville. We have a three-month trial subscription for just $19 if you would like to purchase that. It is only $11.50 more than a single article and you will have full access to our site as well as receive emails alerting you of breaking news.

Please let me know if I can help you.

Thanks,

Allison Anderson
Circulation Coordinator
Nashville Post
624 Grassmere Park
Nashville, TN 37211
(615) 301-9228 (desk)
My Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
________________________________________
From: elyssa.durant@columbia.edu [elyssa.durant@columbia.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 4:32 PM
To: feedback
Subject: NashvillePost.com Feedback from Elyssa Durant

I think it really sucks that I can’t read the article posted in account login and password. I have enough of those.

I wasted enough money at Vanderbilt. I should not have to pay $7.50 to read about someone else who feels the Powers That Beat are playing a sophisticated game of bait and switch.

Will someone please forward the text of this article to me online?

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news/2009/2/3/former_vu_student_sues_university

Thank you in advance!

Elyssa

[I was the one who fed them the story]

#oopsies